Investment Services Licensing
Enabling you to arrange, advise, make, deal and manage investments in different investment products whilst operating OTFs and MTFs across Europe
INVESTMENT SERVICES AND ACTIVITIES
MIFID or Markets in Financial Instrument Directive, is the EU's legislation that regulates firms who provide services to clients involved with 'financial instruments, such as shares, bonds, units in collective investment schemes and derivatives, and the venues such instruments are traded. MIFID II came into force on 3 January 2018.
(1) Reception and transmission of orders in relation to one or more financial instruments;
(2) Execution of orders on behalf of clients;
(3) Dealing on own account;
(4) Portfolio management;
(5) Investment advice;
(6) Underwriting of financial instruments and/or placing of financial instruments on a firm commitment basis;
(7) Placing of financial instruments without a firm commitment basis;
(8) Operation of an MTF;
(9) Operation of an OTF
1) Safekeeping and administration of financial instruments for the account of clients, including custodianship and related services such as cash/collateral management and excluding maintaining securities accounts at the top tier level;
(2) Granting credits or loans to an investor to allow him to carry out a transaction in one or more financial instruments, where the firm granting the credit or loan is involved in the transaction;
(3) Advice to undertakings on capital structure, industrial strategy and related matters and advice and services relating to mergers and the purchase of undertakings;
(4) Foreign exchange services where these are connected to the provision of investment services;
(5) Investment research and financial analysis or other forms of general recommendation relating to transactions in financial instruments;
(6) Services related to underwriting.
(7) Investment services and activities
1. Advising (excluding pension transfers/opt outs)
2. Arranging (bringing about) deals in investments
3. Making arrangements with the view to transactions in investments
4. Dealing in investments as agent
5. Dealing in investments as principal
6. Managing investments
7. Safeguarding and administration of assets
8. Arranging safeguarding and administration of assets
9. Operating an MTF
10. Operating an OTF
11. Bidding in emissions auctions
When might a firm be executing orders on behalf of clients?
When a firm is acting to conclude agreements to buy or sell one or more MiFID financial instruments on behalf of clients. You will be providing this investment service if you participate in the execution of an order on behalf of a client, as opposed simply to arranging the relevant deal.
When might a firm be dealing on own account?
Dealing on own account is trading against proprietary capital resulting in the conclusion of transactions in one or more MiFID financial instruments.
What is portfolio management under MIFID?
Portfolio management is managing portfolios in accordance with mandates given by clientson a discretionary client-by-client basis where such portfolios include one or more MiFID financial instruments.
What is investment advice under MIFID?
Investment advice means providing personal recommendations to a client, either by the customer's own request or on the firm's own advice.
When we discuss your requirements, we will assess your business model, directors and senior management, their experience and suitability and your governance (risk & compliance), operations, structure, business model and viability, to ensure that you meet the state regulator's requirements. Following our assessment, we will provide you with a realistic and honest assessment on application strength, as well as making our recommendations, before we take on your application.
In a hurry? We offer a fast-track service
If you are in a hurry or have a deadline to meet, please contact us about our fast track service.
Our fees and next step
Contact us for an initial assessment of your proposed project and we will provide you with your options and suitability. We will will then discuss your project and provide you with costing. Our team of experts will also be briefed on your project and they will then begin working on your application.